Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hit the Wall

This is the route I thought I was going to run today - about six miles, and hopefully go even further:
(green is out, red is back)


This is the route I actually was able to run:


1.6 miles.
I thought the first mile took 13 minutes... turns out that was about 1.4 miles, so my pace really wasn't that bad.

Chicago is a pancake. Actually, flatter than a pancake. Today, even running up the bump covering the el tracks at grade was tough. I gave up at the start of the North Shore Channel Trail... the thought of having to deal with hills of any kind was too much to bear. I tried to jog back, got about 50 feet, and stopped completely.

I walked most of the same path back, and then went on other side streets to avoid being seen by the rest of the group who had started with me. Then I REALLY made sure they wouldn't find me when I stopped to grab something at a convenience store on the way back.

It was not a good idea to attempt a medium-distance run when:
- It was at least 75 80 degrees and sunny
- I hadn't run in a week
- I stood all night and didn't really take a break at a terrible night at work
- Since 1030 at night, all I'd eaten was a banana and Chobani, a cup of fruit, tuna from a sandwich, and a gel immediately before starting.

I haven't hit the wall in a while, but it was foolish to even attempt this.
It's hard to slow down when you're doing a group run, and you want to run with everyone else, and they're kicking your ass. If you fall far behind, what's the point of running with a group?

This is the look of hitting the wall:


But damn, that 7-11 watermelon lime slurpee tasted good on the walk back to my car. 

3 comments:

  1. Summer/hot running is a challenge, for sure - but the only way to get better at it is to keep running it. Train in the conditions you'd race in - so basically, unless it's a tornado, lightning storm, hurricane, etc., I know I'll be out there running. (I've been doing my runs in 90-100+ยบ heat - sucks, but if it was that way on race day, I'd be glad I was prepared). Just adapt to the conditions - drink more or less water, refuel differently, slow down if need be (not every run can/should be a PR - train for distance separately than speed, and save the really good stuff for race day). If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: it is so crucial to listen to your body. With this experience behind you, look at the factors that impacted the run, and keep them in mind next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're saying, even if I feel terrible and injured, keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, and I even bolded it: listen to your body. If you're injured, obviously stop. If you're in pain, stop. If your heart rate is too high, if you feel faint or dizzy, stop. I'm saying that if you're just hot (not in pain/injured), try increasing your water, fueling differently, etc., until you find a way to run comfortably. It's not one-size-fits-all, you'll have to figure out what works for you.

    ReplyDelete