Thursday, June 21, 2012

Background (10/15): Spring, Refocusing


Soon, under such a mild winter, running shorter distances failed to satisfy, and I became increasingly focused on seeing to what further limits of distance I could push myself. I started undertaking long-runs once every week or two, running around the city in the middle of the night when I wasn’t working. I found moments of peacefulness running the near-deserted streets of Chicago at 3AM, unworried about traffic or pedestrians in my way, and hilarity watching drunks stumbling out of bars could not believe anyone could be exercising so late. By early February, I could run 8 miles, albeit with serious difficulty and intense pain afterward. When I told Adam of the achievement, he demanded I sign up for a half marathon. Largely due to his constant pestering, I registered for the Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon, scheduled for July 22nd. Not ten minutes after submitting payment, I realized that July in Chicago could be terrifically hot – in the 100s. I had only run in the winter, so the decision might prove boneheaded, but at least I had about five months to prepare. On the advice of Jamie, Mary, and others, I found a Hal Higdon plan and resolved to follow it somewhat faithfully, though the disparity in timing presented a problem: the program would be completed in ten weeks... I had five months to go.
It got warmer, and Chicago’s racing season began – though I took pleasure in reminding every runner I knew that for the hardcore, it had never ended. I ran the Shamrock Shuffle, Chicago’s second-largest race, in March. The course wound through downtown for 8 kilometers, crossing the Chicago River twice, and past some of the city’s most gorgeous architecture. In retrospect, merely walking it and taking pictures would have been incredible, but performing well outweighed that kind of experience. I saw Adam beforehand, but with him being a faster runner, we went our own ways. Mary had come into town for the race though, and we ran together. I went along at her pace, not a great deal off my own, until the final half-mile, when, to see how quickly I could boogie, and with her permission, I bolted to the finish. I ended with a time of 48:20, only a marginal improvement from the Rudolph Ramble, but accompanying Mary had felt more important, and it was nice to not have to only run into her at the end. My running habits continued much the same as late-winters, with increasing distance, though attempting to deal with warmer temperatures did prove a minor challenge.
For most of winter, my weight had plateaued somewhere between 215 to 205 pounds. I didn’t think too much about it. Running took priority. So did working out at the gym, as for some unknown reason I wanted to pack on muscle while losing weight – before I hit my loss goals. I didn’t correlate how my weight could impede my running performance.
I started thinking about weight loss against more intensely in the spring, and I started losing again. I did it how I always had, as my view of weight loss at that time approximated eating less when I wanted to lose, and beating the living crap out of my body as often as I could manage. The problem was that during in those periods of loss, I usually felt somewhere between somewhat and wholeheartedly awful. The period of action would be inevitably followed by a major plateau, when I’d do just enough not to put on the poundage, but would give up on losing for some time.
In the late spring, however, I shocked myself by continuing to make progress in weight loss – while not torturing myself, and not focusing as much on killing myself at the gym. Though still challenged, I maintained a happier lifestyle, while still losing weight. For the first time, continued loss felt sustainable. I felt better about the steps I was taking more than I ever had. I believe that more than anything, reading a specific book, and implementing its recommendations, instigated it.
Though hard to admit, I had been lazy for the first year of my weight-loss progress. I had chosen to focus on exercise and running, which I could feel proud of. Simultaneously, I had completely slacked off from focusing on diet. Because I viewed diet as a simple calculation of calorie intake and output – I HATED math, and refused to figure out portion sizes and calorie contents – taking significant action to improve the diet had, until this point, felt impossible. More importantly, I had been ignorant of the complexities behind improving a diet. I ate too much of the wrong foods at the wrong times and had no clue how to recognize my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment