Friday, June 22, 2012

Background (15/15): Advice for Others

           I was asked, what thoughts might I have for others who're considering making a positive change in their fitness, diet, or embracing a healthier lifestyle, or in the midst of struggling, like I am.
           Here are a few thoughts:

Perhaps first of all, accept that you would like to make a change. Identify the exact reasons why you want to make a change – make a list. Then, focus on those reasons as often and as intently as possible. Ask yourself often – is what I’m doing at this moment contributing to my goals? Put signs up in your home to that effect. That might seem dumb at first, but it will eventually motivate you.
Be honest with yourself. It is almost certainly possible to change your habits and your lifestyle – but it will be challenging. Chances are, a significant change will have to be made, and it will frustrate you. It will probably hurt emotionally and physically at time. You’ll probably hate yourself for doing it sometimes. In the end, it will also almost certainly be worth it.
Take extensive, specific, and careful measurements and pictures before you start. It feels hokey, and might feel depressing to have to record certain metrics like body fat or weight, or even taking full-body pictures, but you’ll regret not having them later. I do. Don’t weigh yourself wearing gym clothes and shoes, like I did. Buy a scale and weigh-in with underwear only, if that, for the most accuracy, and weigh-in under similar conditions consistently. Once you get going, carefully document the changes.
Very early on, find several mentors and confidants of different backgrounds. Try to interact with people who are active and have been for their entire lives, with some who are starting out with similar struggles and challenges as you are, and perhaps most importantly, become close with people who have successfully gone through the process before. Don’t be shy about telling many people that you’re starting to take fitness seriously – the more people who know about what you’re up to, the more who can hold you accountable and support you. Rare is the asshole who will mock you for trying to get in better shape. I can think of one or two instances when someone made fun of me, MAYBE, whereas so many people have absolutely supported me the entire time. Become active in support groups, if that’s your thing. Certain online groups helped me a lot, particularly reddit, which has weight-loss, fitness, motivation, running, and C25K interest pages. I’ve heard that blogging can be a good tool for some. You might be surprised where you may find support if you only search a bit.
Don’t get overwhelmed by the tasks that you face down the line – think of it day to day. Don’t think about whether this will last a lifetime or not – that’ll freak you out and you’ll probably quit. Make simple choices continually and stay grounded. Understand that this is not a zero-sum game – setbacks will not derail you for life! Get back on track tomorrow, or the day after, if you fall short. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that, but try.
Start cautiously, and make sure what you’re doing is safe. I made a lot of stupid mistakes early on, but luckily never seriously hurt my body. I could’ve been a lot less lucky. Get checked out by a doctor before starting any weight-loss or sport – really. And if you don’t know how to do something at the gym or in a sport, by all means, ask someone! Don’t break your arm trying to look cool for the other people working out. They really don’t even care.
Don’t get discouraged if progress is slow, or takes time – and stay realistic. I wanted to lose 100 pounds in a year. For me, that wasn’t realistic, which infuriated me at first, but it probably would’ve been dangerously unhealthy! Instead, I made steady, continued, and most importantly, sustainable progress. That should be your goal, too.
Do your research and take your discoveries to heart. Many resources exist in so many places to advise people on how to go about this process – indulge. Read as much on the topic as you can! Read “Racing Weight,” regardless of if you exercise much or not – it changed my life, and I think it could change yours, too. Most information on the subject is designed for the common-man's consumption, don’t worry about having to deal with jargon, it’s not usually that big a deal. Just be careful of junk advice, and crosscheck between sources.
Be willing to invest time and money in this process. Improving your life in any way is a time-intensive process and will require some sacrifices of scheduling. Little bits here and there at the start make a big difference. Don't be afraid to spend money to help make working out or eating better easier. Buy clothes that are designed for working out, don’t just use cotton t-shirts – gym clothes actually have useful functionality, like wicking sweat. Such pieces can be expensive, but are ultimately worth every penny, provided you wear them. Buy new types of healthy foods, buy cook books, and experiment. It was tough for me to spend my money on weight-loss and running items, or healthier and more expensive foods, at the start. Then I considered – what good would money be if I was dead? Spend some money now so you’ll be around to spend it later, too.
Prepare for positive and unexpected things to happen down the line, and embrace the change. The first time someone told me I’d inspired them to run, I wrote it off as politeness. By the time five people who didn’t know each other all said the same thing to me, I realized I had actually begun to inspire others to exercise. That felt incredible. You can set an amazing example for those around you, and can change others’ lives by changing yours. Return the favor that others did for you, when you were getting started, by supporting as many other people as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment