Thursday, June 21, 2012

Background (9/15): Winter Runner


As the weather slowly – very slowly – became colder, I started experimenting with new paths and areas in which to run. I tried out the beautiful Lakeshore Path, running along the beaches, watching waves crash into the shoreline, and forcing myself to keep running and not take pictures. I expanded my routes in certain parts of Logan Square and Wicker Park, running past drunken hipsters and families walking with dogs and strollers. I ran around Lakeview and Roscoe Village, past kids my age and checking out restaurants I’d like to try. I even ran, maybe stupidly, around the more northern parts of Avondale and into and around Humboldt Park. There, luckily no gangbangers ever approached me; the drug deals in the parks added to the charm, and the terror equated to increased adrenaline – improved speed! I somehow developed a penchant for planning routes where shootings, stabbings, or homicides of other natures had occurred within a matter of hours, but my luck held fast against the near-misses.
Despite taking to new trails and routes, I kept running distances within my limited comfort zone. The winter-running guidelines I’d come across had recommended focusing on distance, not time, and taking it easy in deteriorating conditions; I probably used that advice, fit for running in challenging environments, but not the relatively easy ones I came across with a notably delayed onset of winter, to justify not pushing myself so hard. Chicago’s fall of 2011 and early winter, 2012, were freakishly warm. I took a trip to Los Angeles and San Francisco the first week of the New Year; the temperature disparity between home and the Bay area was a matter of degrees. Normally it would be at least 30-40 degrees colder in the Windy City. Still, needing to be careful in winter provided a ready excuse to not go nuts, so I ran with a consistent pace, and kept my distances fairly similar, with three or four miles the maximum. Simply running two or three times a week, for any distance, felt like success.
I slowly increased my distances to the point where running slightly longer races felt possible, and in a December far warmer than the norm, I ran my third race, my first longer than a 5K, the Rudolph Ramble 8K. Though I decked myself out in full winter gear, complete with compression tights and facemask, once moving it felt warmer than I’d feared, and I nearly overheated. Still, with fine path conditions in Lincoln Park, I managed a time of 48:47, a slightly faster pace than my first two time trials. Simply officially running three kilometers further felt great.
Winter finally hit in mid-January, and I managed to fight through it. Despite being scared that I’d ran twice in snow to that point, and never with accumulation, I ran a race in wintry conditions for the first time, the Polar Dash 10K. Ironically, wearing YakTrax cleats for the first time limited more than helped, since almost immediately after leaving the starting and prep zone, where six inches or more of snow had piled up in Grant Park, the path had been cleared. The pressure points from the rails under my shoes stabbed into my feet, causing serious pain, but I refused to cost myself the time of stopping and removing them. Against moderately-heavy snow and strong winds, I finished in 1:07:14. February’s Cupid’s Chase 5K came on one of the coldest days I ran all year. With four to six inches of snow on the ground, nobody had attempted even a cursory cleaning of the path, and shortly after the start, I had my winter’s only instance of breathing trouble due to the cold. The conditions felt rather tough, but I resolved to power through, finishing in 29:22. Initially I felt disappointed, having hoped to shave off more than only two minutes off my first 5k time from three months ago. Then, close to the finish line, I bumped into Jamie, the trainer from my gym, a marathoner in great shape, who told me the race had hit her hard; I felt fine. That comparative strength helped me not focus so much on my time as much as my fortitude.
Winter wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have turned out. Most of my preparations turned out to be overkill, but I felt fine with that. Adam took to calling me a “running ninja” after I posted pictures dressed with my hood and mask on facebook, though wearing such clothing hardly felt legitimately necessary for more than a week or two. That whole season, I somehow managed to never seriously injure myself, besides normal wear and tear. I actually injured myself far worse than anything I did while running, by ice skating – indoors! – and faceplanting twice, ending up what felt like a cracked rib or two. Truthfully, as never much of a risk taker, I only ran on overtly dangerous trails on a handful of occasions, and ran them really, really carefully, almost tip-toeing. The risk of cracking my skull on frozen pathways successfully deterred incautious habits, and I happily never fell into Lake Michigan while moving along the icy Lakefront path, probably because I knew that if I did, I felt guaranteed to drown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment