Sunday, July 1, 2012

Weighing and Tracking

Some people find it counterproductive to weigh-in daily... I take to the other extreme: I weigh myself twice daily. On two different scales each time.
Immediately before sleeping in the morning, and right after waking up at night, I jump on the scales, see where I'm at, and record the results.

Using two scales might seem like overkill, but it's a habit now. The first I've had for months, whereas the second is also a bodyfat scale. Since I've had scales that have gotten out of whack without warning in the past, I can compare the results and ensure they're still more or less precise. 
Weighing twice daily shows how my actions, such as how I ate, drank, and either lased about or beat the hell out of myself, impacted body weight since the last weigh-in, though I'm aware (and the results have confirmed) sometimes it takes several days for those results to be shown.

I've found that weighing twice a day keeps me accountable to my plan - and as the saying goes, "What's measured is managed." I don't think I'd fly off the rails completely without weighing constantly, but it's a fear.
Strangely, weighing-in has become one of my favorite moments of my day. I actively look forward to it when I think I'm going to hit a milestone, and hope I didn't do as badly as anticipated when I screw up. I'm disappointed when I'm not home to weigh-in, and I've even lugged the older scale along with me when I've slept elsewhere for a night or two.

But probably my favorite part is my monthly analysis of my results, comparing and contrasting progress.
I'm a very visual person, so seeing trends drawn out helps, and so I created a series of very simple graphs from the data I've recorded so far, from February to June, 2012.
Hopefully it's not just interesting to me alone.

First, the monthly daily data:














When combined:
















Obviously, there are daily fluctuations which seem to throw things off - so I enjoy taking the time to break it down a bit more into trends.

If I only weighed weekly, my results would look like this:
Saturday chosen because I weighed-in most consistently on that day


But I DON'T do that, because if before weighing-in I had, for example, a particularly rough day or an intense run, it could throw off the results of a full week and short-change me. 
Eventually, I probably will get to the point where I'm comfortable only jumping on the scale - but I'm not there yet.

And I've found not thinking of weight in terms of daily numbers, but in terms of weekly average, can be very helpful to void out outlier results:



And finally, figuring out how well I did each week:
Maybe my favorite part: 16 weeks of straight loss; five consecutive of at least a pound a week. 
Apparently I'm doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment